A-Z How To Get Rid Of It Guide

Yard and Tree Waste

Includes: Ash Tree Disposal, Brush, Dirt, Diseased Trees, Emerald Ash Borer, Flower Cuttings, Garden Debris, Grass, Leaves, Logs, Plants, Sod, Soil, Storm Damage Tree Waste, Straw, Stumps, Trees, Wood Chips

Not Accepted At Hennepin County Facilities.

It is illegal to put yard and tree waste in your household garbage.

Yard and tree waste includes brush, garden debris, grass clippings, leaves, sod, logs, trees and stumps, plants (indoor and outdoor), compost, mulch and wood chips. It does not include rocks or landscape blocks.

Disposal options

Curbside pick-up

Some waste haulers offer curbside yard waste service. Contact your waste hauler or city recycling coordinator for service options.

Compost sites

See a list of yard waste sites in Hennepin County. Bring your yard waste to the compost site nearest to you. Call first for hours, special conditions and fees.

Compost in your backyard

Use a compost bin for your garden, yard and food waste. See Backyard Composting to learn more.

Compostable bag requirements

Residents in Hennepin County who bag their yard and organic waste are required to put their waste out for pickup in compostable bags. Acceptable bags include either paper (Kraft) bags or compostable plastic bags. This is due to a law that went into effect January 1, 2010; Minneapolis residents are exempt until January 1, 2013. Residents who use yard waste carts or who deliver and dump out their yard waste at compost sites are not affected.

 Learn more about the compostable bag requirements.

Ash tree waste disposal

The emerald ash borer is a destructive tree pest that attacks and kills ash trees. To prevent the spread of the emerald ash borer, a quarantine is in place for Hennepin County. Ash tree waste cannot be hauled out of the quarantine area.

Learn more about the emerald ash borer and disposing of ash tree waste. See a list of ash tree waste disposal sites.

Diseased trees

To determine if your tree is diseased, see the  U of M Extension's plant diagnostics or contact your city.  If your tree is diseased, your city may have information on what you need to do and a referral list of tree services that remove diseased trees. If your city does not provide information or assistance, search online or check the yellow pages for "tree services." 

Diseased trees should be cut down and the wood waste should be removed. The stump should also be removed or debarked to prevent further spread of the disease or infestation. 

Any trees found on easements, public property or near railroads that you believe may be diseased should be reported to your city.

Storm debris cleanup

If your city has recently experienced a storm that has caused large amounts of tree damage, please contact your city for instructions on cleanup procedures. Damaged trees that you believe are located on easements, public property or near railroads should be reported to your city.

Related items

Also see:

For soil contaminated with used motor oil, fuels, lead-based paint chips or other pollutants, see Contaminated Soil